Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Don't speak for me

I am tired of theses article and columns on "What is..." this or that type of sexual or gender identity. Like everyone has to inform the reader what sex and gender is all about. Kinda' like Sex and Gender 101. Well, it's just your opinion, as is mine on the same issue, but I don't speak for you and you don't speak for me. So stop trying to provide the definitive view of it because you think your understanding is right or better.

Yes, I know there are some obvious common language that fits the definition of sex and gender, but that's not the issue here. It's the definition of the terms, such as transgender and transsexual. There are as many definitions as Baskin-Robbins has had flavors in their history, and all are variations of many used before. Not even the medical community has common definitions outside of official books on standards such as the DSM.

And yes, I know I also define and use the terms and other words in the same idea, but it's always for the discussion and not meant for anything beyond that or for anyone else, just to ensure points and ideas in the essay are understandable. After that, the terms don't apply to anything or anyone else, not even me. Nothing more and nothing less. Not better or right, just mine then.

And yes, I have a fundamental definition I believe is fair and right for me, but that's it, just me. I don't expect anyone to accept my definitions, as I don't accept other people's definition. It's how I see myself, but I don't see others or think others should see themselves or see me. So, in the end, speak only for yourself. And don't speak for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment