Sunday, September 11, 2011

Don't Argue With Activists

Julia Serano wrote a followup to the essay (previous post), found here. I wanted to post a response but didn't, as I've learned it doesn't pay to argue with activists for any cause.

But not because Julia would react negatively, but the others posting responses would react negatively and even harshly. One of who on that essay (above) did reply to me once personally to GFY. Not that I said anything bad or wrong, only because of her view of people sending her e-mail she hasn't met or know.

Anyway, I kinda' liked Julia's followup essay and only wanted to comment on one point she made (point 9), which is as follows.

"I saw a couple commenters who actually said they didn’t feel that transsexuals needed to form alliances with anyone. I feel that those responses are naive, and I assume they were probably uttered by folks who have no experience doing grassroots activism of any sort. It is easy to be an “arm chair activist” who complains about alliances they dislike without having to do the heavy lifting required to change societal views about transsexuals and the various forms of sexism we face."

So if I were to post there, this would be my reply:

Reply.--
Thanks for the interesting (first) essay and replies. I have only one comment (point 9), which is about transwomen (in- and post-transition) needing alliances. Haven't many of the recent gains been accomplished by transgender groups than LGBT groups? Gains for changes to documents and health insurance coverage have come from transgender groups such as NCTE.

I'm not going to argue, because I agree, activism helps, but while many transwomen need activism to help, much due to their economic or social circumstances, many transwomen transition without the need of groups or activism. They transitioned within the existing laws and rules and then continued with life, only a few to become public afterward only to show transwomen are just normal women.

Why do activists seem to argue all transwomen must be out and proud and active for transwomen? Aren't there far more transwomen who transitioned and are more or less living quiet lives without being activists than all the public and activist transwomen? Why should they expose their lives to public scrutiny simply because other transwomen say they should? Don't they have rights not be to activists if they didn't need and don't need the help?

Just some thoughts and questions.
End of reply

So, at least now if anyone comments, which few have, I can moderate them instead of them moderating me. My rules versus their rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment