Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tough audience

Why is the transcommunity so obstinate, and often arrogant, when people disagree with them, and worse, dissent from their opinion? It's like the whole community has this attitude you have to agree with everything and everyone about al transpeople and transgender issues, or you're not one of them, and maybe not a real transgender person. It baffles me.

I got kicked off of one forum for disagreeing with the owner/moderators in a discussion, especially asking why someone else was booted off the forum for her views. They then imposed a rule that I found unacceptable, but only wanted to ask about it, and the next thing I realized I was gone from the member roles, as was another person before me (and I agreed with her).

They are really touchy people. But they don't seem to see the differcence between a simple opposing opinion and an opponent. They lump all opposing views into opponents forgetting to separate the discussion from the person. Ok, why the post here?

Well, someone posted the lasted news about Caster Semenya and I responded saying I thought she shouldn't have competed with the women because she didn't fit the definition under the rules of being a woman. The problem is that the rules aren't very clear and the IOC and IAAF decides on individual cases. And Caster's sex/gender fell between the cracks in the words, except Caster didn't.

The issue is that even if Caster is physically an underdeveloped boy (possibly a vagina but no female reproductive system) but raised female, should she be allowed to compete with female athletes. The transcommunity shouts yes and I said no. I agreed with the female athletes who filed the complaint which started the whole mess where everyone screwed up, including Caster.

And now it's an ugly mess. But the transcommunity argues that being raised female was enough to make her female and qualified to compete. And everyone thinks her privacy has been violated. But I disagreed arguing she wanted to compete, and she chose to step into the arena and spolight to compete. And so, she can't cry foul when questions are raised.

But my point here is the sensitivity of the transcommunity and the many members. It's why many don't get involved and the majority of post-transistion women don't identify as trans, walk away from the community if they ever were a part, and don't for the most part, even care. They've living as women, or men.

And I managed to put myself in their proverbial doghouse, like I'm supposed to apologize for my opinion? Sorry, that's not going to happen, unless the obvious where I'm proven wrong or stupid, like that hasn't happened before. But hey, I'm human. But it's only part and parcel with many issues in the transcommunity.

For example, those who express the view of the binary gender structure as it exists in society are criticized for not challenging it. Why? Many local and state government have laws protections lgbt people, but they still enforce a sex/gender binary. The experts have long exposed the binary sex/gender structure as false, but it hasn't changed it. And who would want to be in a third sex/gender umbrella type anyway?

Like the transcommunity thinks that's better? Or more so, challenge the sex/gender standards by being out and different. usually done by the young genderqueer as they're called now, and my apologies if that's not what you like, but it's what's you're called. Like they expect everyone out and proud. For what? You don't gain anything and you likely will lose a lot.

What don't they understand? They bitch about thinking people should be out and proud then speak out about it when those same people are outed. This is shown in the case of Chinese model Alicia Liu. But who cares if she's transistioned, and why doesn't it matter she never said anything so far? Because of the publicity she's getting now?

And the list goes on, but it's not universal. I've noticed occasionally longtime members have criticized people in the community and expressed opposition to majority opinions, many not that different than mine, and they're allowed to speak with freedom and often with respect. But others, like myself, get verbally pummelled. Except not into submission or agreement, just verbally black and blue.

So why stay on the fringes of the transcommunity? Well, for friends and others in the community, because it is a human rights issue, and I like to challenge norms, whether it's society's or the transcommunity. I think they need fringe people to remind them their world isn't the whole world, and their reality isn't the reality of the rest of the world.

Many in the community know that and express that, but more often they're more diplomatic or eloquent where the criticism isn't obvious. The dance of words, except I'm more like Harrison Ford's character said in his movie "Clear and Present Danger" when he replied, "I don't dance." I didn't with my life and career, so why stop now?

No comments:

Post a Comment