Thursday, November 1, 2012

One Experience

Why do others think when they see a transwomen who passes seemingly well if not perfect invite them to talk to groups like their personal experience represents all transwomen and their perspective and view represents the community?

I ask this when I read a transwoman say they've been invited, obviously from their writings and Website, to talk to some groups, to students or at a meeting on transgender issues. It's a WTF moment to wonder why they accept and why those listening will have the impression all tranwomen are the same.

I know it's not true. I know many talk to express the diversity of transwomen, but it's still makes me think that with all these different transwomen giving talks, it only adds to the confusion, not the complexity, of transwomen, that that transwoman's experience must be common if not universal of all transwomen.

I also know that many who give the talks are good for all transwomen for the public to see the better side of the vast majority of transwomen different than all the transgender classes of people, that transwomen really are women with a conflicting anatomy.

Isn't it like asking a black, latino or asian woman to talk about all women of their race? Or asking a Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist woman to about all women in their religion? Or asking a old person about all the old people of their generation?

It still, however, makes me wonder what they say and to think, if I were a transwoman, I'm not her or like her, so why is she representing me. It's just her one experience in the many, all different. I only hope she conveys that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment