Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tavern conversations

I'm basically a tavern conversationalist. I like the spirit and openness of a good Friday night conversation at a tavern with rounds of good microbews, stout ale for me thanks, and great food. I like the hearty openness, honesty and freedom of these conversations. And the humor and tolerance for diversity and divergent views.

I like people who are passionate about their views, like wandering ideas, and listen well to understand and debate the subjects beyond saying, "I think..." I like people who take their issues seriously but don't take themselves seriously. I certainly don't. I often hold extreme view on issues, but I rarely speak them. I prefer offering views that open the door to dialog and debate.

Only when pressured or I want to say what I truly feel will I express my deeply held and strongly felt views on an issue. But even then it's just my view of the world, from my experience, knowledge and understanding. Nothing more, but certainly not less than anyone else's view. It's just mine.

And even as I age, I still feel the same way. The only people I avoid anymore are those who are clearly so intransigent in the views they won't change, they won't even listen. And they will keep twisting the topic or issue to their view or to denigrate the opposing view, or worse other people. At that point, when I used to try to talk to them, now I simply shut up and often walk away.

They won't change. But that's also issue dependent. I've known some very interesting, and staunchly opininated, people in my life, and I like being in their company for conversations, because they see the humor in life, and even their own life and view. They're often a hoot to be around and talk with. They laugh at themselves more than they laugh as life.

And I can kid them about life and their views. That's my style. Always with a smile and a humorous idea or perspective on things. The little kid in me never left and sometimes likes to make people smile. It's all in the value we have as people with each other. If we didn't respect each other and learned to appreciate and respect our differences and different views. what else would there be in the world?

I know somtimes friendship is best, and why maybe diplomacy is often better done, on a Friday night at the local pub over good beer and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment